Tuesday, August 8, 2006

The now

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14

I think I spend a lot of time in the past. And I think I do this in one of two ways that handicap my present kingdom work. The first way is regret. I can so easily live in the many failures of past decisions and actions. It's these things that keep me in neutral when God's will is urging me forward. The second way is pride. I can look back and see periods when God has done amazing things for others through me. And rather than let this spur me on to greater things in His service, I can once again shift into neutral and bask in the past glow (so to speak). But look at Paul - He is forgetting what is behind (good and bad) and being obedient now. The now is where we grow. It's what takes us out of neutral and moves us forward.

I'm not a big fan of wrote prayers but I recently heard something that Mother Theresa prayed every day - "May I truly obey You today… For up until now, I've done nothing."

So this week we are praying that we focus on now. That we free ourselves up to be slaves to His will. Like Paul, I want to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

One last quote - "Don't let yesterday consume too much of today."

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment