Monday, August 28, 2006

Hospitality

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." Matthew 25:35,36

I recently read something on the topic of hospitality. The statement that stood out to me was "The essence of hospitality: welcoming people, not entertaining or impressing them." I think we easily get hung up in the 'entertaining or impressing' mode. We even call it 'entertaining' when we have guests over to our house. Entertaining or impressing is just another way of putting on the false face. Real hospitality is just that… real.

This week let's pray about hospitality - both when we are having guests and when we are the guests. It's a key component of doing life together and therefore it's a key component of our witness and our refinement. I'll close with a quote from the book I was reading:

"Someone knocks at my door. If I am anxious or resentful, I may put on a good face, offer a cup of tea, but offer no real hospitality. The person I really am at the center of my being is unavailable… blocked by worry or the wish to control. My business, whether as host or guest, is to be as open and real as possible in any situation." Susan Mangam

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment