Monday, April 5, 2004

Our reactions (4/5/04)

In our daily lives, we are "wronged" by others. Co-workers, our spouse, our kids, friends, the guy in traffic, complete strangers, etc. It's our reactions to these "wrongs" that we are praying for this Wednesday. To be more specific, the topic for this week is - praying before we react. Said another way - making prayer our first reaction.

On a personal note, I need this topic as bad as anyone. Overall, I'm a pretty laid-back person. However, my instant reaction is not always "turn the other cheek". For instance, I've been thinking about this topic since last Wednesday and I was even discussing it with a couple of you at service yesterday. As such, you would think it would be top-of-mind for me. Yet, yesterday afternoon, I became quite angry with my oldest son when he failed to call after sleeping over at a friends house. It was very surreal - verbally I was letting him have it while inside, a part of me was saying "you know, you really should stop and pray about this before you react".

I'm just guessing you can all think of similar situations. Situations where, if you could go back and do it again, you would react very differently. A while back, I heard a pastor put it this way - "We all carry around a bucket of water in one hand and a bucket of feul in the other. When someone throws a flame at us, it's our choice as to which bucket we throw on it." If we pause for a second and say a quick prayer, we will make the right decision.

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment