Monday, April 26, 2004

The line (4/26/04)

The fasting and prayer topic for this Wednesday involves elements of worry, control, responsibility, and ultimately - trust in God. You may be thinking that sounds like a strange topic but after you read the e-mail exchange below, you'll understand better. This e-maill exchange was sent to me by a friend I've had for many years now. He is on our fasting and prayer list. This e-mail conversation happened between him and one of his close friends.

One side note - the names have been changed to protect the sterile :-)

~~~~~~~~
Fred: Barney, can I have the name of the doctor that did your "snip snip" surgery?
Barney: So, are you finally willing to do it or is Wilma finally willing to let you? I highly recommend this guy. Good skill and good Christian. (doctor's info was attached).
Fred: I think Wilma is now fine with the idea.
Barney: I know that it is not 100% effective. But, it sure is nice not worrying about it anymore.
Fred: Can you not worry knowing it isn't 100% effective?
Barney: You know me. I can not worry about a lot of things. (my own note on this - "Barney" is very good at optimism and not worrying about the future).
Fred: Yea, but another kid at this point in my life, THAT makes me worry.
Barney: Yea, I know, but God's in control. I kind of feel that I have done my part and do not need to do anymore. If He wants me to have another kid, He can. But, He will have to work for it. I'm not suppose to worry, and He will not give me more than I can handle. Then again, I can handle all things through Christ so that is not much comfort… :)
Fred: You still wear seatbelts don't you?
Barney: That's exactly the point. I don't have a roll cage or wear a helmet. I don't even have air bags. It's that whole walking a line thing. You just got to do what you're suppose to and not worry about the rest. What you're suppose to do and what I am suppose to do are probably two different things. I don't view 0,1,2,3, or more methods of birth control to be wrong. The potential dangers I see related to this topic are fear, worry, disobedience, and control. Its another one of those tough lines to walk between trust and control.
~~~~~~~~

It really is walking a line. If we fall on the control side, we run the risk of working too hard to get to our goals without stopping to make sure they are God's goals for us. The other side is to use "trusting in God" as an excuse for inaction. You've probably heard the story of the man who lost his job. He sat around the house doing nothing. His attitude was "God will find me a job if he wants me to work".

So, whatever you want to call this topic, please pray for it this Wednesday.

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment