Monday, January 5, 2004

Our Leaders (1/5/04)

You often hear about groups that pray for our leaders. I know of a fasting and prayer group that has organized to make sure there are people fasting and praying for the president every day of the year. I think it's appropriate that we take some time to pray for the leaders in our lives as well. That brings me to a question I've been tossing around for the last couple weeks. Who are the leaders in our lives? There are the obvious examples such as our government leaders (both domestic and foreign). There are our pastors at church, our bosses at work, the teachers of our children, etc. etc. But there are also more subtle leaders in each of our lives. People that we look to as mentors - formally or informally. People we try to model our behavior after because they seem to model the concept of "what would Jesus do". Some of my own mentors don't even know they are my mentors. There are men at my church who I look to as models of evangelism. Others who are models of love and fellowship. Still others are models of encouragement. The list goes on and on. As I write this, I'm making a mental commitment to let these men know they are inspirations to me and they are helping to lead me down the narrow path.

So this week, let's pray for our obvious leaders as well as our not-so-obvious leaders. Let's pray that they stay grounded in God's will. That God does good work through them. And that in the process, they give the glory back to God.

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment