Monday, January 19, 2004

Patience (1/19/04)

I got up extra early this morning because I wanted to get to work to knock out a couple pressing matters. But Evan (the 16 month old) threw up on his outfit as we were walking out the door. That delayed me by 15 minutes. I had to take Abby (the 9 year old) to my sister's house this morning since there was no school today. The roads were quite icy so drive times delayed me another 25 minutes or so. As I arrived at work, a few feet from my office, I started to get this "something's missing…" feeling. It hit me. I didn't have my laptop computer. I knew where it was. Sitting next to the recliner in our living room where I left it after checking email Saturday night. I had to drive back home and get it which means I didn't actually get to my desk until 10:00. So much for the early start. Judging by how frustrated I felt, I need to pray for this week's topic as earnestly as anybody.

You often hear Christians joke "whatever you do, don't pray for patience." But even if we don't pray for something, God knows if we need work in that area. And if we know we lack patience, and yet, refuse to ask God for it, then we probably also need to work on honesty and denial as well. We may as well come clean to the One who knows all our dirt. The only one we fool is ourselves. So this week, we are praying for patience. Patience to deal with cases where our plans and reality don't align. Patience that's grounded in faith in Jesus and the good plan God has for us. Patience that sticks out to those unbelievers around us as something they would like to know better.

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment