Monday, May 15, 2006

The dust

In ancient Jewish culture, many young Jewish boys would strive to become a Rabbi. After several years of studying the scriptures, the best of the best would be selected by a Rabbi to be his apprentice. It was the common desire of an apprentice to be "covered in the dust of his Rabbi". That's a figure of speech that means to always be close to the Rabbi so as not to miss any wisdom that comes from his mouth. Quite literally, it means to follow so close in the Rabbi's footsteps that even as the Rabbi walks down the road, the dust that he kicks up will settle on the apprentice. I want to follow Christ that close. I want to be covered in His dust as I seek to know Him… His wisdom… His love… His forgiveness… His sacrifice… His grace. However, what I want to do and what I actually do are two different things. I think I'm more likely to be covered in the dust of the world. I've said in previous messages - It's not easy, but it is simple. Quite simply, it’s all about Jesus. Whenever it starts to get more complicated in my mind, my eyes are no longer on Him.

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment