Monday, April 24, 2006

Bennett driving - part 1

My oldest has had his driving permit for almost 3 months now. One of the observations as a passenger that stands out to me is related to speed. When I'm driving, I feel perfectly comfortable driving at higher speeds - 10, 15, even 20 miles per hour over the speed limit doesn't seem fast ( easy officer Curtis… no tickets please :). But when Bennett is driving, it seems fast even when he is barely going the speed limit. I thought about this for weeks. At first, I thought it was a control issue. I thought my discomfort came from not being the one behind the wheel. But then it occurred to me that I do feel comfortable riding with other people who drive fast. That's when I realized that it was a trust issue. Knowing Bennett's limited driving experience, I don't trust him to drive fast.

So why do I have so much trouble as I try to let God drive my life? Why do I keep "grabbing the wheel"… "back seat driving"… "pulling out the map to make sure He's going the right way"? He isn't some amateur. He isn't even just some professional. He's the creator of life and he knows the perfect way to "drive" a life. Putting the wheel in His hands is infinitely better than keeping it in my own.

This week, let's pray that we learn to trust God the way that He deserves to be trusted - completely.

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment