Monday, March 13, 2006

Why

When adversity comes your way, do you ever find yourself struggling with the "why" questions. I've asked the "why" questions many times. My own personal "why" questions seem to fall into 2 different categories. The first is the "why" that is implying unfairness. It's more of a protest than a real question. It's the "why me" directed at God. Perhaps a better question I should ask myself is "why not me". The second is the "why" that is trying to figure it all out. The "what is God trying to teach me through all this" questions. I presume that if I know what he's trying to teach me, I'll just go ahead and concentrate on learning it quick. I'll just speed up God's plan and unlike all my past lessons, I'll learn this lesson on the first try and I won't forget it so fast...

But ultimately, the real question is the why behind the "why". Said another way, Why do we ask "why"? Trust is the answer. We all believe in God. But do we all trust God? And do we trust Him completely? The "why" questions betray a lack of trust. "Just tell me where we're trying to get to God and perhaps I'll come up with a plan that's better than your plan for getting there."

This Wednesday, as we fast, let's pray about the "why". Let's ask ourselves if we are fully trusting God. Take some time to read from the book of Job this week.

You've probably all heard a pastor say "I don't need to know… I just need to know the one who knows.

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment