Monday, January 31, 2005

Contentment

In Philippians 4:12-13, Paul is talking about contentment:

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed of hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

I heard a pastor summarize it like this: "Contentment is not about who has the most. It's about who needs the least." In our materialistic society, we have been trained to be pessimistic about our possessions. Instead of being thankful for all the things we have, we tend to lament the things we don't yet have. Said another way, the glass is half-empty. Ask yourself "Do I have any wants that I'm treating like needs?" "Am I discontent because I don't have some of the things my neighbors have?" "Am I overlooking blessings that are right in front of me?" "Am I content with my possessions and my circumstances?"

Yet there is one thing we are supposed to be discontent with… That we are to continuously strive to make better / deeper / stronger... Our relationship with Christ.

Do you know anybody who has these two things reversed? People who are content in their spiritual lives yet discontent in the material things? People who live by sight rather than faith?

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment