Monday, January 17, 2005

Advice

You probably have people in your life that ask you for advice on a regular basis. Likewise, you also probably have a "go to" set of people that you turn to for advice when needed. This Wednesday, as we fast, we are praying about advice. A couple things to think about:

1. Ephesians 4:15 tells us to speak the truth in love. We need to guard against simply saying what we know the other person wants to hear. Likewise, when receiving advice, we need to be introspective enough to discern flattery from fact. The truth is what's required for real growth.
2. The second part of speaking the truth in love is the "love" part. Read 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 for what's required here. I think the hardest time to keep this "love" part is when a friend is starting to realize something that has been obvious to me for a long time.
3. Is the advice biblically sound? The answer to this question has to be "yes" before we move on to the more important question - Is the advice consistent with God's will? If the advice isn't biblically sound, it can't be God's will.
4. Last, are there any selfish motives in the advice? What I want may skew the advice I give a friend. It may sound something like "I don't think you should take that new job because it seems risky to move to California." But part of what I'm thinking is "I don't want you to move away because you’re my friend and I want you here". We need to discern motive and guard against it both when giving as well as getting advice.

So this week as we fast we are praying about advice. We are praying that the advice we give as well as the advice we follow are both honoring to God.

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment