Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Vacuum Cleaner (12/16/03)

As I get older, I find that without fail, I have to make at least one trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I am in the habit of walking over to the bathroom in the relative darkness of the house to keep me from waking up too much. If I turn on lights, I'll have trouble falling back to sleep when I get back to bed. This is where the vacuum cleaner comes in. About a month ago, after some cleaning, we left our old upright vacuum cleaner sitting in the upstairs hall. It's important to know that this hall is between our bedroom and the bathroom. As such, on several occasions, I accidentally kicked the vacuum cleaner during my trip to the bathroom. Embarrassing as it may sound, There were even some trips where I kicked it both times I passed it. This went on for at least a week and a half before I decided to put the vacuum away one morning. However, it still pops into my head on my nightly trip.

So what does this have to do with a prayer topic? Well, reflecting on this experience brings Psalm 119:105 to mind "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path". We all have "vacuum cleaners" in our path. Your "vacuum cleaner" may be lust, or greed, or envy, or pride, or any number of temptations or weaknesses. You can stay in the dark of self-comfort and self-interest and continue to blunder into them (perhaps even twice the same night :). Or, you can turn on the light of God's word, wake up to the power of relying on him, and recognize those "vacuum cleaners" before you kick them. God may even have it planned for you to take hold of that "vacuum cleaner", turn it around, and do some good with it.

To summarize, we are praying that God fills us with the desire to read his word, listen to what it says, and show others how to do the same.

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment