Monday, October 25, 2004

Love (10/25/04)

"…God is love…" 1 John 4:16.

Think about the cross. Think about the grace and mercy given to us on the cross. Think about the root of this grace and mercy - God's love for us. I don't know why He loves me. But knowing that He loves me is at the core of my faith. It allows me to set aside self and love Him back in my own imperfect way. And ultimately, isn't this what God wants from us? For us to love Him back - allowing His perfect love to shine through us?

Love is the root and the power behind all the so called "symptoms" of a Christian life. For example - God doesn't need us to give of our treasures - but if we love Him, we do. And He doesn't want us to give them unless they are given in love. Likewise, God doesn't need us to do good works. He's big enough to accomplish all the good works we could possibly do the rest of our days with just a wave of His finger. Yet if we love Him, we want to do good works (not out of compulsion but out of love and gratitude).

From the moment of salvation onward for the rest of our lives, we are learning about His love for us, accepting this love, and learning how to love Him back - so that His love can shine through us. Love is the very center of Christianity which is where it should be since God is love. I am in the kindergarten of love school being taught by the author of the subject - love itself.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient. Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Corinthians 13:1-7.

So let's all fast and pray this Wednesday for love. For our own love of the Father. And that others who have not yet come to know His liberating love can come to meet Him at the cross.

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment