Monday, June 21, 2004

Evangelism (6/21/04)

Last week, for a couple days, I was training the person who will be picking up my old responsibilities (Carol). During this time, the conversation rolled around to religion and it turns out that Carol and her immediate family are best defined as agnostic. We talked for a long time about it and she was voicing a lot of the same objections, questions, and criticisms that I had before I was saved. To quote Carol at one point in the conversation - "I just can't stand how self-righteous a lot of these Christians seem". It was tough to just listen and not defend but I think it was the right thing to do. I told her that I remember those same thoughts/feelings well and I suggested some books that helped me answer/address some of my own issues back then. I'm going to send her the books and pray that she reads them.

So the topic this week is evangelism. We are praying for evangelism throughout the world. We are also praying for ourselves - that we obey Christ and spread the word. A couple quick points:

1. If you're at all like me, you probably think it's fairly hard to bring up the topic of your faith in a casual conversation. I'm finding it gets easier the more I do it. So let's just do it.
2. Even harder than bringing it up is saying the right things after the conversation starts. It's hard to not come across as self-righteous or defensive because we do already believe. Just try to remember what it was like when you were on the other side. Listen and empathize.
3. It's important to follow-up and follow through. I need to get Carol the books I mentioned and I need to check in with her in a little while.

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment