Monday, November 28, 2005

Forgiveness

This Wednesday we are praying about forgiveness.

Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Colossians 3:13

Ever since becoming a Christian, I have thought of forgiveness in the way described in Colossians 3:13 above. I should forgive because God forgave me. But recently, I started thinking about forgiveness from a slightly different angle. Namely, I should forgive because God forgave them. Said another way, when someone wrongs me, I should forgive because Christ's blood covers their wrong just like it covers my wrong. Who am I to harbor unforgiveness - Christ paid the price for their sin as well.

But saying you forgive someone is much easier than actually forgiving them. Often the words "I forgive you" are an empty expression. What we mean is "You wronged me and now I'm watching you. I've filed this away and I will bring it up if you try anything like that again." True forgiveness is more like "Even though you wronged me, I can lay that aside and I can lay my pride and fundamental desire for fairness aside so as to wipe the slate clean for you."

Is there someone in your life that you need to forgive? Maybe it's someone who you say you've forgiven but it was really just an empty expression. Perhaps it's someone who wronged you in an incredibly hurtful way. Maybe it's someone who wronged a dear friend or family member of yours. You may need to forgive your spouse… a parent… a friend… a family member. Whoever it is you need to forgive, do it and do it for real. Don't let it be just an empty expression. It will be hard but always remember, Christ's blood covered whatever wrong it was they did to you.

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment