Monday, June 20, 2005

Focus

Do you multi-task? I do quite a bit. When I'm at work… When I'm trying to get chores done around the house… Any time that I'm trying to clear a to-do list. The problem is that this multi-tasking mind-set carries over into areas of my life where it has no business. There are times when I can't be a proper father if my mind is wandering off to other things. There are times when it isn't fair to my spouse if she's only getting 30% of me. Furthermore, the Lord doesn't want me spending quiet time with Him or praying to Him or studying His word unless I am entirely focused on it. The following is a quote from a martyred missionary who appeared to really understand this - "Wherever you are… be all there".

This Wednesday, our prayer topic is "focus". In order to really focus on the important things in life, you may need to say "no" some times. I heard a pastor put it this way - "You can do anything you want to… You just can't do everything you want to." At my old job, we had another way of saying the same thing - "Don't try to boil the ocean." However you want to look at it, this Wednesday we are praying for the following:

1. That the things that are important to God are the important things in our lives (our relationship to Him, family, love, etc.).
2. That we don't let the fluff of life crowd out that which should be important to us. Let's learn to say "no" to some requests.
3. That these important things in our lives get our full attention. We're praying that we learn to give ourselves completely to the thing we're doing. At work, that may mean multi-tasking but when I'm sharing a conversation with my daughter, it doesn't.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men" Colossians 3:23

Have a great week and a great fast.
Wherever you are this week… be all there.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment