Monday, April 11, 2005

Comparison

We are taught to compare and compete from birth. From sports… to our jobs… our cars… our clothes… possessions in general... our accomplishments… We're taught that success is being the best, having it first, owning the most - good old selfishness. It's where the world thinks self-esteem and self worth are found. The advertising industry banks on it. Their messages entice us to feed our egos by staying ahead of the pack.

When we got saved, all those things that we learned and competitive habits that we formed didn't just magically disappear. So this Wednesday, we are praying about comparison. We are praying that now that we are a new creation, we stop comparing ourselves to others. Pride is the root of comparison and comparison can lead to envy and jealousy. It's silly for us to compare or compete with unsaved people. When we got saved, our priorities did a 180 degree turn. But equally dangerous is comparing ourselves to other Christians. For example, I'm not very musical. I could look at one of my Christian friends who is musical and say "Boy, why can't I be that musical? God really short-changed me there." Conversely, I should say "I am so thankful for this musical brother of mine. God's gift in him really blesses me." We all have a unique set of gifts God designed just for us to be used in a way which He designed just for us. Our longing after others gifts or comparing our gifts to others misses God's purpose. I would propose that the only comparing we should be doing is to ourselves. Ask questions of yourself comparing today with yesterday. Questions like the following:

1. Am I using my gifts better?
2. Am I more in God's will?
3. Is my love more like the love of Christ?

"Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else" Galatians 6:4

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment