Sunday, March 13, 2005

Boldness

I was in a parking lot in Albuquerque a short while back when I saw one of the strangest sights I've ever seen. There was an older guy (probably in his 70s) wearing a suit complete with a bow tie out on the sidewalk. He had a bicycle, a tiny dog, and a huge exotic bird with him. When I first saw him, he was in the process of getting all situated. He put the bird on a special perch attached to the handlebars. Then he got on the bike, got the dog where he wanted him, and started riding down the sidewalk. He rode very slow and the dog was so tiny that it seemed to be running at top speed to keep up. All in all, the entire scene was extremely odd. In fact, I bet it would seem odd to anybody… except that guy riding the bike.

So what does this have to do with Wednesday's fasting and prayer topic? Simply stated, I want to wear my faith boldly. I never want to be embarrassed or ashamed that I am a Christian. I want my actions to say that I care more about what God thinks than what other men think. Yet, in all, any pride that I show, let it only be a humble confidence in Christ.

Many Christians are bold in their Christianity… on Sunday while at church. Yet, it may be tough to even tell that the same person is a Christian when Monday rolls around. The thought of boldly wearing their faith on Monday feels like riding a bike in a 3-piece suit with a giant bird and a tiny dog in tow. They don't want to draw any negative attention to themselves.

So as we fast this Wednesday, we are praying for boldness.

"Therefore, since we have such hope, we are very bold." 2 Corinthians 3:12

Have a great week and a great fast.
Your brother,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment